Monday, April 11, 2011

Today Was a Good Day

So today was the best Monday ever. During my lunch/prep time (they bleed together because I ALWAYS work through lunch even though I know I shouldn't.) I glanced over at my desk to see two envelopes. "What could this be?" I wondered to myself. I quickly ripped open the first to find A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! Okay, so I know that he didn't really send it to me, but still it's pretty cool to get something from the White House.

You see, way back in February I had the kiddos write to the President in honor of Presidents Day. I wasn't sure if we would hear back from him, but it was worth a try. Not only did we get a response we received two full color photographs. One was of the President and one was of him with his family. If you guys haven't ever done this, I highly recommend it. I can't wait to show the kids tomorrow morning. They are going to go nuts!

So after carrying on for a good five minutes over my letter from the President I decide to finally open the second envelope on my desk. I ripped it open, and inside was a check for $93. In January I applied for a mini-grant for some read-alongs for my listening center. I had given up hope on the funding, so I am so totally psyched. 

Yes, today was a good day.  So to share the love I am posting my most recent word/picture match. You may have noticed that I REALLY like word/picture matches and you might wonder why. Well, my students are reluctant readers. Things like word sorts really do not require students to use their decoding skills. If I throw a recording sheet in there, I can easily tell my they are doing with the new phonics skills. Secondly, it takes a considerable amount of time for them to learn a new procedure or activity. They do well with routine. So if they know exactly what is expected of them (ie a familiar task) life in the room goes much smoother. So without further ado, I present Hot Popcorn (an or word and picture match).


5 comments:

luv2teachmath said...

Wow! What a fabulous day! We all need a day like this every now and then and I'm sure you deserve it.
Erika
Wild About 2nd Grade

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to hear about how excited your students were!

Terri

Angelia said...

I love the Word to Picture sort. You're right that word sorts don't really require as decoding skills. This is a perfect way to make them actually think and read. I love your great day and your blog. I also teach special ed, so I was happy to find a special ed blog. I'm in the process of starting my own. Oh and I must say that I'm super jealous of your loud room. I have a very small room and a loud assistant. It's so distracting with both of us teaching 2 groups, and we're practically on top of each other.

Beth said...

I just found your blog a few minutes ago. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful work. Your blog is fantastic!!!
Beth

Amelia said...

I know this post is from 4 years ago, but I just have to comment! Your resources are wonderful- thank you so much for sharing the freebies!

I am a first year teacher (grade 2 resource room), and have been struggling with exactly what you describe- students' need for tasks that are familiar so they can focus on the content not the procedure. I have spent crazy amounts of time making my own materials this year for this exact reason!

Thank you so much!

Post a Comment